Monday, October 31, 2011

Harry Potter Butterbeer

I found a recipe on Pinterest for Harry Potter Butterbeer and was so excited to try it.  I made it, but was disappointed with the flavor of the actual drink (the topping was pretty good).  But I decided it was worth trying to salvage so I tried again.  The original recipe calls for butter flavoring and rum extract in the cream soda, but I found that this made the soda taste diet-y and weird so I just used plain cream soda.  Hence, there is no "butter" in this "beer".  But I ran this by a ten-year-old expert who has been to the Harry Potter theme park and tasted "real" Butterbeer....he liked it.  So I guess I'm good to go.

Ingredients:
2-liter bottle of cream soda*
1 cup whipping cream
7 oz. jar marshmallow creme
1 tsp. rum extract

1.  Chill the soda completely before "assembling".
2.  In a mixing bowl, combine the whipping cream, marshmallow creme, and rum extract until smooth and combined.
3.  Pour cream soda into cups, allowing head room.  Drop the topping by spoonfuls into soda.  It will float and fizz.  Serve!

Source:  adapted from Design Dazzle Blog

*The first time we tried this we bought A&W Cream Soda, but didn't realize until after we drank it that it has caffeine.  I was able to find a no-caffeine cream soda at Lowe's Foods....Polar brand soda.

1 comment: