Thursday, June 21, 2012

Fresh Blueberry Cobbler


So, somebody brought home two pints of fresh blueberries and that means I had to make something with them quick before they went all mushy.  You know the story.  Anyway, I pulled out a few cookbooks and, since it was 10:00 in the p.m., there was no time to be really creative.  Enter my trusty Betty Crocker Cookbook--you know, the orange one, circa...I have no idea, because I lost the title page with all that good info on it.  But I can always find a recipe in there when I have an ingredient and don't have a clue what to make with it.  Hope you enjoy this cobbler.  We did...with a scoop of vanilla ice cream--can't believe I had that in the freezer!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
4 cups fresh blueberries (or 2 1/2 cups because some of mine got eaten first)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons shortening
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk


1.  Heat oven to 400 degrees F.  Mix 1/2 cup sugar and the cornstarch in a 2-quart saucepan.  Stir in blueberries and lemon juice.  I added about 1/4 to 1/2 cup water because it needed a little more juice.  Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute.

2.  Pour mixture into ungreased 2-quart casserole; keep blueberry mixture hot in oven.

3. Cut shortening into the flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, the baking powder and the salt until mixture resembles fine crumbs.  Stir in milk.

4. Drop flour mixture by 6 spoonfuls onto hot blueberry mixture.

5. Bake until topping is golden brown, 25-30 minutes.  Serve warm.  Makes 6 servings.


Source:  Betty Crocker's Cookbook, New and Revised Edition

1 comment:

  1. Love your display of ingredients pic. I always know by looking at the picture that it's yours. I look for clues in the background. I just made blueberry lemonade this morning and it is scheduled for posting.

    ReplyDelete