Monday, September 17, 2012

Salmon Sliders

As a kid, we used to have Salmon Croquettes every so often, and this is really just a new use for them.  Canned salmon is pretty cheap and packed with Omega-3 fatty acids.  If you keep canned salmon around, as I do, you've got a quick, cheap go-to lunch or dinner.  I kind of just threw in whatever, so this recipe is not precise.

Ingredients:
1 can of salmon, drained*
chopped onion and peppers (I used a small onion and 1/2 to 3/4 of a bell pepper)
1 egg
salt and pepper
seasonings**
bread crumbs
oil (I used coconut oil)

1.  Empty the drained salmon into a medium bowl.  Using a fork, mash the bones and skin pieces together with the flesh until well mixed.*  Saute the chopped onion and peppers (I used a little yellow, orange, and red bell pepper) in oil  in a skillet on medium heat until they are to your liking.  (I like my onions slightly caramelized.)  Add this to the salmon in the bowl and stir together.
2.  Add the egg and seasonings, stirring until well-combined.**  Add enough bread crumbs so that the mixture forms patties easily...not too dry to fall apart, but not so wet that it's mushy.  Form into small patties about the width of the rolls you are using; mine were about a half inch thick.
3.  In a skillet on medium heat, allow the oil to heat up.  Carefully place the patties in the skillet and cook for a few minutes on both sides until browned.

Makes about 8 small patties

Source:  inspired by this but embellishments are mine

Notes:
*The bones and skins don't bother me; the bones are so soft they crush up easily.  But if it bothers you, take them out while draining.  Personally, I just don't want to bother!
**I used lemon pepper, but you can add any seasoning that you enjoy in your burgers (onion soup mix, Montreal steak seasoning, etc.).

Also,

  • I used dinner rolls from Sam's for the buns.  I buy the big bag and divide it up by the dozen into freezer bags.  I keep them in the freezer and pull them out when needed.  For added flavor, after cooking the sliders, add some butter to the skillet.  Place the rolls cut-side down in the skillet and allow to "cook" until they are golden brown.
  • For slider fixin's this time, I used provolone cheese, mayo, and spinach.  I would've thrown some avocado on there if I'd had some.

No comments:

Post a Comment