Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Slow Cooker Chicken and Cheese Biscuits

My kids really loved this! This is a pinterest recipe that I have saved for a long while just waiting for the right time to try out.  It was really Yummy! The only thing I didn't like about this recipe was the Thyme. I am not a big thyme (seasoning) fan.  When I make this again, I will probably leave that ingredient out. But!, it was very yummy and a good comfort food recipe.  I simplified it a bit and left a couple of original ingredients out to make my family happy.  I loved using my slow cooker, it made this easy!

Chicken Stew:
2 cups chopped red potatoes
1 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp dried sage
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 TBSP quick -cooking Tapioca
1 lb chicken, boneless & skinless, cut into pieces (for quicker cooking)
1 cup chicken broth
 1 cup frozen peas
1 oz cream cheese, cut in pieces
cheesy biscuits

Biscuits:
1 2/3 cup biscuit mix
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup milk

 In a slow cooker, combine the following: potatoes, carrots, onion,celery, garlic, thyme, sage, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle tapioca over the mixture. Lay the chicken pieces over the mixture and pour the chicken broth over all of it. Place the lid on and set the timer for about 3 1/2 hours on high.

About 15 minutes before the timer goes off, add the frozen peas and cream cheese. Stir a bit. The chicken breaks apart and almost shreds it is tender! Replace the lid and continue cooking.

In a mixing bowl add the following ingredients for the biscuits: 1 2/3 cups biscuit mix, cheese, milk. Stir well until the dough forms. Then drop by heaping TBSP fulls into a greased cupcake pan! (this was easier for me than rolling out dough.) Cook in a 450 degree preheated oven for about 10 minutes! Really watch these, they burn easily. (so says my first batch!)

Serve this when the biscuits come out of the oven!  Spoon the Chicken Stew over the biscuits. The kids loved this!





Adapted from pinterest





No comments:

Post a Comment