2 1/4 tsp. dry active yeast
1 cup warm water
2 cups buttermilk
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. salt
7 cups all-purpose flour
1. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Combine yeast and water and stir till dissolved.
2. Add remaining ingredients and stir until well blended.
3. Pat/roll out 3/4" thick and cut with biscuit cutter OR place in greased bowl and place in fridge until needed (will keep a week in the fridge).
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Makes about 30, depending on your cutter
- If you buy yeast in the little envelopes, then use one envelope for this recipe.
- If you don't have buttermilk, put 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar in a 2-cup measure. Fill to the 2-cup line with milk and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- I like my biscuits tall and thick. If you like yours thinner, roll or pat them out to the thickness you like.
Source: my Grandma Davis