Friday, June 21, 2013

Whole Wheat Multigrain Bread


Everyone (unless people are lying to me) loves my homemade bread.  I make it every week!  I love that I know exactly what goes into it and that it is full of wholesome grains for my children!  This recipe makes 4 loaves and to do so I use my Bosch Mixer, if I were using a Kitchen Aide I would cut the recipe in half.

Audrey's Whole Wheat Multigrain Bread
Yield: 4 large loaves or 5 small loaves

6 cups whole wheat flour (Hard Red or Hard White works best)
6 cups warm water
2 Tbsp. yeast
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 honey (or dark brown sugar)

Mix ingredients together in mixer and let rise until double and bubbly.  Then add:

2 Tbsp. Salt
1/4 cup of any or all the following grains: Amaranth, Quinoa, Chia Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, Poppy Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Flax Seeds (I would grind the Flax in your blender first)
8-10 cups whole wheat flour- while mixer is set at lowest speed add one cup at a time until you get to 8 cups then add 1/2 cup at a time until it pulls away from the sides of the mixer (if you add too much it will be crumbly so be careful).

Mix on medium speed for 10 minute.  On a floured surface separate dough into 4 pieces.  Knead each piece into the shape of a loaf then pat with hand to get the air bubbles out and place into a greased loaf pan.  Let rise for 30 min or until the dough has risen slightly above the pan.  Bake at 350 for 28 to 30 min.  Let cool in pans for 3 minutes then continue cooling on cooling racks.  Once cool wrap in plastic wrap or place in bags.

Note:  I have been reading more and more about soaking grains to help with digestion. So as of late I have been soaking the following ingredients overnight; 6 cups flour and any other grains I am using, 5 cups water, and 1 cup buttermilk.  The next day I add yeast, oil, and honey to the soaked wheat and let it rise then continue with the recipe (minus the grains since they have been added to the soaking mixture).  Because it is cool from soaking it does take longer to rise.  It also has a bit of a sourdough flavor when doing this (which I love but others may not).

No comments:

Post a Comment