Thursday, October 31, 2013

Perfect Pie Crust


For years I searched for a great pie crust recipe. I had a friend in Florida share this recipe with me. I believe it came from a cookbook she had but I cannot say which one.

Perfect Pie Crust
12 Tbsp. very cold unsalted butter
3 C. flour 
1tsp. kosher salt
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/3 C. cold vegetable shortening
6-8 Tbsp. ice water  

Dice the butter and return to the fridge or freezer while preparing the flour mixture. 

Place the flour, salt and sugar in a food processor. Pulse a few times. Add the butter and shortening. Pulse 8-12 times til the butter is pea-sized. 

With the machine running pour the ice water down the feed tube and pulse the machine until the dough begins to form a ball. Dump out onto a floured surface and roll into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.

Cut the dough in half and roll out. 

This actually makes enough for about 3 single crusts. 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment