Thursday, March 12, 2015

Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes


There are days when you just can't think of a recipe to post, so you hit your trusty family cookbook to see if anything strikes your fancy--and if you already have most of the ingredients.  Today was that day.  After a quick trip to the store before work to pick up chives and cherry tomatoes, I was ready to prepare your post for the day.  This is actually a recipe that I taped into my cookbook without even trying it.  I have quite a few of those, from back in pre-Pinterest days, pre-save it to your computer days.  Yes, that long ago.  This one is clipped from a magazine.  I would guess at Better Homes & Gardens.  This is actually quite good and any leftover filling makes a great egg salad sandwich.

Ingredients:
36 large cherry tomatoes 
4 hard-boiled eggs
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 T. Dijon mustard (I used regular because I forgot to get some at the store)
1/2 t. curry powder
2 T. chopped fresh chives
10 whole chives for garnish

1.  Cut a slice off the top of each tomato and use a spoon to remove the meat and seeds.  I actually cut off the bottom end so that the tomatoes would sit level on the platter.

2.  Set the tomatoes upside down on paper towels to drain.

3.  Put the peeled eggs in a bowl along with the mustard and mayo and mash with a fork until fairly smooth.  Add the remaining ingredients, mix well and taste so you can add spices if you need to.  I added a little bit of salt.

4.  About 1 hour before serving, fill each tomato with egg salad, garnish with several 2" chive spears standing up in the middle of the tomato.  Makes a lovely appetizer, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment