Thursday, May 19, 2016

Lemon-Guava Pound Cake

My mother-in-law made some yummy cakes, but this one is my favorite because it is so different from other pound cakes.  Her original recipe (a special shout-out to my sister-in-law Gayle for providing the recipe since Verna Mae kept recipes in her head!) is Lemon-Apricot Pound Cake, but one time I had some guava nectar at the house that I needed to use and I thought I would try it with this recipe.  Oh goodness.  So moist and delicious.  I. Can't. Even.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup sugar
1 Duncan Hines Lemon Supreme Cake Mix
3/4 cup coconut oil (or Crisco oil)
1 cup guava nectar (or apricot)
4 eggs

Glaze:

2 cups powdered sugar
juice from 2 lemons*


1.  Mix cake, sugar, oil and nectar together.  Add eggs one at a time.  
2.  Bake in a greased tube or bundt pan at 325 degrees F. for approximately 1 hour.
3.  Mix glaze ingredients and pour over warm cake.

NOTE:  I had no lemons when I made this today, so I substituted a few drops of lemon essential oil, about a tablespoon of leftover guava nectar and enough milk to get the glaze consistency that I needed.  Goodness, that was some tasty stuff!


Source: Verna Smith Jenkins.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Carol. We love it, too. I need to make one soon. Have you checked out new site?

    ReplyDelete